Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Stug.III Ausf.E (Painting process/Proceso de pintura)

Here the photos of my last project. As I told you in previous entries the assembly was a little tricky, but finally I really enjoyed with the painting. I played with hairspray, mapping and oils. If you want to see the different stages of the painting, just take a look!

Aquí tenéis la fotos de mi último proyecto. Tal y como os conté en entradas previas, el montaje fue un poco complicado y tedioso, pero finalmente disfrute muchísimo con el camuflaje invernal. Jugué con la técnica de la laca, el mapping y los oleos. Si queréis ver las diferentes etapas de la pintura solo echad un vistazo! 




Hairspray technique (Ténica de la laca)

Nothing new here. As you can see, I added almost any white paint on the back of the chassis because I wanted to build up the white camo with each process. 
Nada nuevo aquí. Como podéis ver casi  no aplico pintura blanca a la parte trasera ya que quería ir desarrollando el camo blanco con cada proceso.  



Mapping

Here I'm going to show you how the model looks through the process of mapping. The mapping allow you to add depth and richness to the white colour and moreover, it's extremely easy to use. You just need some paint thinned with water, play with different dissolutions and work always in thin layers. It's important to keep in mind how much effect you want to get with each technique and remember that you aren't going to achieve a good finish with just one layer. In my case I stopped at this point because I wanted to enhance some parts with oils.

Some drybrush was added over the grey parts. This helped me to get a more steel, weathered look of the base coat.

Aquí os voy a mostrar que aspecto tiene del modelo a través del proceso de mapping. El mapping te permite aportar profundidad y riqueza al blanco y ademas, es una técnica extremadamente fácil de usar. Solo es necesaria pintura blanca disuelta en agua,  jugar con diferentes disoluciones  y trabajar siempre en capas finas. Es importante tener en mente cuanto efecto se quiere conseguir con cada técnica y recordar que no se va a conseguir un buen resultado con solo una capa. En mi caso, me pare en ese punto por que quería resaltar algunas partes con oleos.  

 Se aplico algo de pincel seco sobre las partes grises del modelo. Me ayudo a conseguir un aspecto más desgastado y de "acero" de la capa base.

With just one layer of mapping. 
 Con solo una capa de mapping.




After several layers of mapping and filters. 
 Después de varias capas de mapping y filtros.


Look this comparison. (Hairspray,  first layer and finish look of mapping.)
Mirad esta comparación. (Laca, primera capa y aspecto final del mapping )


Oils (Oleos)

Project after project I'm feeling  more comfortable with oils. Not just to add chromatic richness, but for add shadows, lights, and several weathering effects. I normally take my time with the painting process, so I generally don't mind about the drying time.

I used a blue-ochre grime mixture for the filters. In this case, I applied the filter after the mapping. I wanted the white camo a bit down, to emphasise even more the brightest parts of the camo that I was going to add with oils. In this project I used them for the first time to add lights and shadows. I used the white to enhance the less weathered parts of the camo. Blue and siena helped me to add shadows and depth sensation to some parts.

Several colours were used to add chromatic richness all over the model. For the washes I used a mixture of siena, black and blue.

Proyecto tras proyecto me siento más cómodo con los oleos. No solo para añadir riqueza cromática, sino también para realizar y realzar sombras, luces, y para varios efectos de desgaste. Normalmente me tomo mi tiempo con el proceso de pintura, así que por lo general no me importa el tiempo de secado. 

He usado una mezcla de suciedad azul-ocre para los filtros. En este caso, aplique un solo filtro después del mapping. Quería suavizar un poco el blanco del camo para luego enfatizar aún más las luces y las partes menos desgastadas con oleos. Use siena y azul para realizar sombras y añadir profundidad en algunas partes. 

Se utilizaron varios colores para añadir riqueza cromática por todo el modelo. Para los lavados utilicé una mezcla de siena, negro y azul.

Photos after oils process.
Fotos después del proceso con oleos.



Dust (Empolvado)

For the first time I used enamel paints on a model. I used them mostly to create effects of dust on the running gear and for oil stains. I applied it with airbrush, brush and making splashes, fading the results with more thinner and playing to create different effects. I prefer working with oils to make the dust effects on the chassis in successive layers. I add some pigments to finish the model.

Por primera vez use pintura esmalte con un modelo. Las use mayoritariamente para efectos de polvo en el tren de rodaje y algunas manchas de aceite. Las aplico con aeógrafo, con pincel y creando salpicaduras, difuminando los resultados con más diluyente y jugando para crear diferentes efectos. Prefiero trabajar con oleos para crear efectos de polvo sobre el chasis en capas sucesivas. Apliqué pigmentos para finalizar el modelo. 


Here the oil colours I used to create dust effects.
Aquí veis los colores al oleo que utilice para crear los efectos de polvo.

The final result.
El resultado final.


As always, a million thanks to Carlos Blanco and Sara Carruesco for their support. :)



1 comment: